- What is the difference between the three bus and rail combination tours?
- We currently have 3 combination bus and rail excursions:
White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion (3.5 hours in duration). Train portion is 1.75 hours and the bus portion is approximately 1.25 hours including stops. Lunch is not included. This tour travels between Skagway, Alaska and Fraser, British Columbia (28 miles in one direction).
Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion with or without the dogcart ride (7.5 hours in duration). Train portion is 1.75 hours and the bus portion is approximately 4.25 hours including stops. Lunch is included as well as free admission to the Husky Puppy Camp and the Yukon Wildlife Museum at Caribou Crossing Trading Post. This tour travels between Skagway, Alaska and Emerald Lake, Yukon Territory (78 miles in one direction).
Bennett Scenic Journey (8 hours in duration). Train portion is 4.25 hours and the bus portion is approximately 2.5 hours including stops. Lunch is included on board the train between Bennett and Carcross. We do not go to Caribou Crossing Trading Post where the husky puppies and museum is located on this excursion. This tour travels between Skagway, Alaska and Emerald Lake, Yukon Territory (78 miles in one direction). This tour is the only excursion that covers the full area of Bennett Lake.
- What is the most appropriate clothing to wear?
- The best recommendation is to dress in layered clothing. That way you can peel off a layer if the weather is warmer.
- Do you pick passengers up at the pier?
- All tour departures start from each and every cruise ship dock in Skagway. We also drop our guests back at the pier at the conclusion of the tour.
- How do we find you?
- Vehicles and drivers are present at every cruise ship dock. All vehicles are clearly marked with our business name "Chilkoot Charters & Tours" on each side of the vehicle. Additionally, our guides are also located at each dock and will be carrying a sign with our business name. All reservation confirmations contain our business phone number as well in case you need to contact us.
- Where do we meet?
- There are three cruise ship docks in Skagway (Railroad Dock, Broadway Dock and Ore Dock). Two of the docks (Railroad Dock and the Broadway Dock) have only one point of entry. Passengers merely have to walk to the end of the pier and we will be right there with our signage to meet you.
The Ore Dock has two points of entry. Passengers from the Ore Dock need only to walk across the foot bridge right beside the cruise ship and meet at the red weather shelter just beyond the foot bridge.
- How will we recognize you?
- Vehicles and drivers are present at every cruise ship dock prior to your scheduled tour departure time. All vehicles are clearly marked with our business name "Chilkoot Charters & Tours" on each side of the vehicle. Additionally, our guides are also located at each dock and will be carrying a sign with our business name. Our reservation confirmations contain our business phone number as well in case you need to contact us.
- What type of identification do we need?
- Since our excursions enter Canada, all passengers must carry a passport. There are no refunds for failure to have proper ID in your possession at the tour departure time.
- What is the lunch menu?
- The lunch menu for our Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion and the Discover the Yukon by Bus is as follows:
BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, homemade roll, coffee or tea, all-you-can-eat cake donuts. There is a vegetarian Dahl soup option also.
The lunch menu for our Bennett Scenic Journey is as follows:
Hearty turkey sandwich, macaroni salad, chips, dessert, coffee or tea. Veggie sandwich is also an option in place of turkey.
- What type of tour vehicles do you use?
- We specialize in smaller groups for more personalized attention, better tour quality and more flexibility. The passenger capacity of our tour vehicles is 25. All vehicles are expertly maintained, meticulously cleaned and fully licensed and insured for Alaska and Canada travel. Vehicles also have full view windows, air conditioning and comfortable seating.
- How long is the train ride?
- The total time on the train for each excursion:
1 3/4 hours - White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion,
1 3/4 hours - Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (with or without the dogcart experience),
4 hours - Bennett Scenic Journey
The balance of the tour times are conducted in our comfortable air conditioned tour vehicles. This remainder of time includes stops on the highway portion of this tour.
- When do we pay for the tour?
- Payment is processed at the time the reservation is made for all shore excursions.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy?
- A 10% cancellation fee will be charged for all cancellations of confirmed reservations.
The entire amount of the tour price is forfeited if cancellation is made within 24 hours prior to the scheduled tour departure date.
If your cruise ship does not arrive in port or arrives too late to accommodate you on your scheduled departure time we will refund you in full.
- Will we see wildlife?
- The Yukon excursions (both the Yukon Rail & Bus and the Yukon Adventure by Bus only excursions) as well as the Bennett Scenic Journey offer the best opportunity for wildlife sightings.
- What happens if our ship is late arriving in Skagway?
- In most cases, if your ship is late arriving in Skagway chances are that we will know it before you will. We have a local port agent and our CVB that keeps local businesses apprised of any deviations in the cruise ship schedules. We will still be there to meet you when you arrive to discuss options and alternatives so by all means make contact with us at the dock to avoid forfeiting payment. If the ship arrives too late to accommodate you on your tour we will refund you in full.
- What if we don’t make it back in time to re-board our cruise ship?
- Cruise ships have an all-aboard call 30 minutes prior to the ship's departure from Skagway. We not only can assure you that you will make your ship's departure, we also guarantee passage to your next port of call if we are responsible for making you miss your ship. In all of our years of business we have not missed a ship yet!
- Where do you drop us off at the conclusion of the tour?
- Passengers returning from one of our excursions can be dropped off on Broadway in Skagway or at their cruise ship at the conclusion of their tour.
- Do you have wheelchair accessible tours?
- Our vehicles are NOT wheelchair accessible and we CANNOT accommodate motorized scooters of ANY kind. However, for passengers who have collapsible walkers we are happy to assist in boarding and storing them on our bus if we have room.
- How soon should I make a reservation?
- As soon as you have confirmed your cruise ship itinerary, we recommend making your excursion reservations as our tours sell out quickly.
- Do we have time to make the 7:30AM departure time?
- There is ample time to disembark your cruise ship and make your way to the end of the pier. Cruise ships arrive in port approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours before their scheduled arrival time. Our local longshoremen spend about 45 minutes tying the ships up to the dock and setting the gangway in place so cruise passengers can disembark promptly at 7:00AM. We pick our passengers up right at the end of the cruise ship dock so it only takes just a few minutes to meet with us.
- Why should I book with Chilkoot Charters & Tours?
- Chilkoot Charters & Tours is locally owned and operated by Alaskan residents. Our tours provide a small group atmosphere in smaller tour vehicles.
Currently we are offering a number of combination tours that are joint ventures with other well-respected tour providers in our local area such as White Pass & Yukon Railroad and Caribou Crossing Trading Post. We feel very privileged to have gained the confidence and support of such distinguished local companies.<br />
All excursions offered by Chilkoot Charters & Tours are operated and managed by our company. We do not act as a broker for other tours and can therefore guarantee without hesitation the quality of our own excursions.<br />
Chilkoot Charters & Tours is a full service company! This means that all of the applicable components of the excursion are included in the already discounted excursion price as well as U.S. and Canadian sales taxes. Our passengers also enjoy the convenience of courtesy transportation to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway. Lunch accommodations, train tickets and ground transportation have been pre-arranged for you so there is no waiting in line to purchase anything once you arrive in Skagway. Just meet us at the dock and we are ready to begin your Skagway adventure!
- Do you have a child’s rate?
- All of our excursions have a child's rate. The child's rate applies to children 2 to 12 years of age. For children under 2, if the child rides on the lap of a parent and does not take up a seat the child rides free. We strongly recommend that infants and children under the age of 2 not to participate in our 6.5, 7.5 and 8 hour tours as they travel to remote areas without medical facilities and are extremely long tours for younger children.
- Do you go to Emerald Lake?
- The following tours include the Emerald Lake stop:
Bennett Scenic Journey,
Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (With or Without 15-Minute Dogcart Ride),
Discover The Yukon Adventure (With or Without 15-Minute Dogcart Ride).
- Can we bring a wheelchair, walker or baby stroller?
- If the items are collapsible and fit in our small storage area we can accommodate them. However, if we do not have the space for these items they may be left behind and not allowed on the tour bus.
- Is your website considered “real time?”
- No, our website is not considered "real time." This means that once a booking is placed we still need to check for availability to see if we can offer you the tour and/or time you have requested. Our office will get back to guests within 24 hours if there is an issue with availability.