- What is the difference between the three bus and rail combination tours?
- We currently have 3 combination bus and rail excursions:
1.) White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion (3.75 hours): Train portion is 1.75 hours and the bus portion is approximately 1.25 hours including stops. Lunch is not included. This tour travels between Skagway, Alaska and Fraser, British Columbia (56 miles round trip).----
2.) Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion with or without the dogcart ride (7.5 hours): Train portion is 1.75 hours and the bus portion is approximately 4.25 hours including stops. Lunch is included as well as free admission to the Husky Puppy Camp and the Yukon Wildlife Museum at Caribou Crossing Trading Post. This tour travels between Skagway, Alaska and Emerald Lake, Yukon Territory (156 miles round trip).----
3.) Bennett Scenic Journey (8 hours): Train portion is 4.25 hours and the bus portion is approximately 2.5 hours including stops. Lunch is included on board the train between Bennett and Carcross. We do not go to Caribou Crossing Trading Post where the husky puppies and museums are located on this excursion. This tour travels between Skagway, Alaska and Emerald Lake, Yukon Territory (156 miles round trip). This tour is the only excursion that covers the full area of Bennett Lake.
- What is the most appropriate clothing to wear?
- The best recommendation is to dress in layered clothing. That way you can peel off a layer if the weather is warmer.
- Do you pick passengers up at the pier?
- All tour departures start from each and every cruise ship dock in Skagway. We also drop our guests back at the pier at the conclusion of the tour. We do not pick up or drop off in Haines for any of our tours.
- How do we find you?
- Vehicles and drivers are present at every cruise ship dock in Skagway. All vehicles are clearly marked with our business name "Chilkoot Charters & Tours" on each side of the vehicle. Additionally, our guides are also located at each dock and will be carrying a sign with our business name. All reservation confirmations contain our business phone number as well in case you need to contact us.
- Where do we meet?
- There are three cruise ship docks in Skagway (Railroad Dock, Broadway Dock and Ore Dock). Two of the docks (Railroad Dock and the Broadway Dock) have only one point of entry. Passengers merely have to walk to the end of the pier and we will be right there with our signage to meet you.
The Ore Dock has two points of entry. Passengers from the Ore Dock need only to walk across the foot bridge right beside the cruise ship and meet at the red weather shelter just beyond the foot bridge.
We do not pick up in Haines for any of our tours.
- How will we recognize you?
- Vehicles and drivers are present at every cruise ship dock in Skagway prior to your scheduled tour departure time. All vehicles are clearly marked with our business name "Chilkoot Charters & Tours" on each side of the vehicle. Additionally, our guides are also located at each dock and will be carrying a sign with our business name. Our reservation confirmations contain our business phone number as well in case you need to contact us.
- What type of identification do we need?
- Since our excursions enter Canada, all passengers must carry a passport. There are no refunds for failure to have a passport in your possession at the tour departure time.
- What is the lunch menu?
- The lunch menu for our Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion and the Discover the Yukon by Bus is as follows:
BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, homemade roll, coffee or tea, all-you-can-eat cake donuts. There is a vegetarian Dahl soup option also.
The lunch menu for our Bennett Scenic Journey is as follows:
Hearty turkey sandwich, macaroni salad, chips, dessert, coffee or tea. Veggie sandwich is also an option in place of turkey.
- What type of tour vehicles do you use?
- We specialize in smaller groups for more personalized attention, better tour quality and more flexibility. Our buses are 25 passenger in capacity. We have the newest bus fleet in all of Skagway and all vehicles are expertly maintained, meticulously cleaned and fully licensed and insured for Alaska and Canada travel. Vehicles also have full view windows, air conditioning and comfortable seating. A picture of one of our buses can be viewed in our "tours by bus" thumbnail pics.
- How long is the train ride?
- The total time on the train for each excursion:
1 3/4 hours - White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion,
1 3/4 hours - Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (with or without the dogcart experience),
4 hours - Bennett Scenic Journey
The balance of the tour times are conducted in our comfortable air conditioned tour vehicles. This remainder of time includes stops on the highway portion of this tour.
- When do we pay for the tour?
- Payment is processed at the time the reservation is made for all shore excursions.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy?
- A 5% cancellation fee will be charged for all cancellations of confirmed reservations. The entire amount of the tour price is forfeited if cancellation is made within 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour departure date. A full refund is only provided in cases where your cruise ship does not arrive in port or arrives too late to accommodate you on your scheduled departure time.
- Will we see wildlife?
- The Yukon excursions (both the Yukon Rail & Bus and the Yukon Adventure by Bus only excursions) as well as the Bennett Scenic Journey offer the best opportunity for wildlife sightings.
- What happens if our ship is late arriving in Skagway?
- In most cases, if your ship is late arriving in Skagway chances are that we will know it before you will. We have a local port agent and our CVB that keeps local businesses apprised of any deviations in the cruise ship schedules. We will still be there to meet you when you arrive to discuss options and alternatives so by all means make contact with us at the dock to avoid forfeiting payment. If the ship arrives too late to accommodate you on your tour we will refund you in full.
- What if we don’t make it back in time to re-board our cruise ship?
- Cruise ships have an all-aboard call 30 minutes prior to the ship's departure from Skagway. We not only can assure you that you will make your ship's departure, we also guarantee passage to your next port of call if we are responsible for making you miss your ship. In all of our years of business we have never missed a ship!
- Where do you drop us off at the conclusion of the tour?
- Passengers returning from one of our excursions can be dropped off on Broadway in Skagway or at their cruise ship at the conclusion of their tour.
- Do you have wheelchair accessible tours?
- Our vehicles are NOT wheelchair accessible and we are not able to accommodate motorized or electric scooters of ANY kind. However, for passengers who have small, collapsible walkers we are happy to assist in boarding and storing them on our bus if we have room and they do not exceed these measurements: 30"L x 10"W x 30"H (including wheels). If we do not have room, the walker may have to be left behind with a company representative and delivered to the guest at the conclusion of the tour.
- How soon should I make a reservation?
- As soon as you have confirmed your cruise ship itinerary, we recommend making your excursion reservations as our tours sell out quickly.
- Why should I book with Chilkoot Charters & Tours?
- Chilkoot Charters & Tours is locally owned and operated by Alaskan residents. Our tours provide a small group atmosphere in smaller tour vehicles.
Currently we are offering a number of combination tours that are joint ventures with other well-respected tour providers in our local area such as White Pass & Yukon Railroad and Caribou Crossing Trading Post. We feel very privileged to have gained the confidence and support of such distinguished local companies.
All excursions offered by Chilkoot Charters & Tours are operated and managed by our company. We do not act as a broker for other tours and can therefore guarantee without hesitation the quality of our own excursions.
Chilkoot Charters & Tours is a full service company! This means that all of the applicable components of the excursion are included in the already discounted excursion price as well as U.S. and Canadian sales taxes. Our passengers also enjoy the convenience of courtesy transportation to and from all cruise ship docks in Skagway. Lunch accommodations, train tickets and ground transportation have been prearranged for you so there is no waiting in line to purchase anything once you arrive in Skagway. Just meet us at the dock and we are ready to begin your Skagway adventure!
- Do you have a child’s rate?
- All of our excursions have a child's rate. The child's rate applies to children 12 years of age and under.
- Do you go to Emerald Lake?
- The following tours include the Emerald Lake stop:
Bennett Scenic Journey,
Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (With or Without 15-Minute Dogcart Ride),
Discover The Yukon Adventure (With or Without 15-Minute Dogcart Ride).
- Do we have time to make the 7:30AM departure time?
- There is ample time to disembark your cruise ship and make your way to the end of the pier. Cruise ships arrive in port approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours before their scheduled arrival time. Our local longshoremen spend about 45 minutes tying the ships up to the dock and setting the gangway in place so cruise passengers can disembark promptly at 7:00AM. We pick our passengers up right at the end of the cruise ship dock so it only takes just a few minutes to meet with us.
- Can we bring a wheelchair, walker or baby stroller?
- We are not able to accommodate wheel chairs or motorized/electric scooters of any size. We can accommodate small, collapsible walkers that do not exceed these measurements when folded up: 30"L x 10"W x 30"H (including wheels). We can only accept "umbrella" style baby strollers that do not exceed these measurements when folded up: 45"L x 10"W x 10"H (including wheels). If we do not have room on our bus these items will have to be left behind with a company representative and delivered to the guest at the conclusion of the tour.
- What are the meeting instructions?
- All guests will receive an emailed confirmation containing the following meeting instructions:
You will be met at the end of your cruise ship dock by a representative of Chilkoot Charters & Tours in Skagway. ALL GUESTS MUST ARRIVE 15 MINUTES PRIOR TO THE TOUR DEPARTURE TIME. Tour departs on time at stated departure time.
If your ship is at the Railroad or Broadway Dock – Walk to the end of the dock, pass through the dock security checkpoint and look for a representative holding a sign that reads, “CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS.”
If your ship is at the Ore Dock – Walk to the red weather shelter which is located directly across the footbridge in the parking lot next to the cruise ship. Wait here for your driver/guide who will be carrying a sign that reads, “CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS.”
Your driver/guide may need to pick up at another dock prior to arriving at your dock. Please stay at the meeting location so that your guide can find you. DO NOT attempt to board the train at the dock as its destination is different than yours and DO NOT proceed to the train station. Wait for your guide at the designated area only.
GUESTS OF ALL NATIONALITIES MUST BRING PASSPORTS AND OTHER REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION FOR ALL TOURS WITH OUR COMPANY. PHOTO COPIES ARE NOT PERMITTED. PHOTO ID AND BIRTH CERTIFICATES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE UNLESS GUEST IS A U.S. OR CANADIAN RESIDENT THAT IS AGE 15 OR YOUNGER.
If traveling with minor children and the other parent is not traveling with you, or if you are not the parent or legal guardian, you must bring a “letter of consent” or other supporting documentation to provide authorization for you to take the child(ren) on the tour into Canada.
Contact Information: If you encounter any difficulties please contact our office at 907-983-3400.
- Are there restroom stops?
- It is true that the restroom facilities (plumbed or outhouse style) are few and far between on the longer Yukon tours. There are 3 outhouses along the highway portion that the drivers can stop at if requested. They are not the most ideal situation, but will work if needed. There are also plumbed restroom facilities at Fraser, Carcross and Caribou Crossing Trading Post. Some restroom stops can be 1-1.5 hours in between stops. Please let your driver/guide know if a restroom stop is required and they can stop at the next available area.
- Can I take your longer tour if I am on a ship that departs at 4:00PM or 4:30PM?
- We are not able to offer our longer tours to guests on board the Celebrity Millenium (on Wednesdays only) as the ship departs Skagway too early in the afternoon. There are times when we are delayed, i.e. late trains, long lines at Customs stations, road construction, etc and we would not want you to miss your ship. We are able to offer guests on the Millennium on Wednesdays our 3.5 hour White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion at 7:30AM or 8:30AM. We can offer our 7:30AM Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion to guests on board the Radiance on Wednesdays.
- Can I take your 12:30PM or 1:30PM tour if I am on a ship that departs Skagway at 4:00PM, 4:30PM or 5:00PM?
- We are only able to offer guests on board the Celebrity Millennium or Radiance of the Sea on Wednesdays our 3.5 hour White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion at 7:30AM or 8:30AM only. The afternoon departures arrive back to Skagway too close to the ship's all aboard and departure time. There are times when we are delayed arriving back to Skagway, i.e. late trains, long lines at Customs stations, road construction, etc and we would not want you to miss your ship. We are also only able to offer these departure times to guests on board the Norwegian Joy and Star Princess for our White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion. However, guests on the Joy and Star are able to participate in our 7:30AM Bennett Scenic Journey or 7:30AM Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion.
- Do you offer any type of discounts?
- We do offer a 10% discount on our "bus only" tours. In order to receive this discount, guests must click on the "promo or voucher" button and type in "BUSONLYDISCOUNT" and click on "apply." This discount will be applied to the final balance at checkout.