Our border stations in Skagway are unique in the fact that they do not accept birth certificates with photo identification for tourism passengers.  All adult passengers MUST bring a Passport, Passport Card, NEXUS, FAST, SENTRI or Enhanced Driver’s License (REAL id’s are not acceptable) in order to enter and exit Canada.  

U. S. Customs and Border Protection – Required Travel Documents

  • Passports
  • U.S. Passport Cards
  • Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 16 arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate or a Canadian Citizenship Card

Canada Border Services Agency – Required Travel Documents

If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, passport card, NEXUS, FAST, SENTRI or Enhanced Driver’s License.

For all modes of travel CBSA recommends you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the United States.  A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

Citizens and permanent residents of the United States who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs may present their membership cards to the CBSA as proof of identity and as documents that denote citizenship, when arriving by land or marine modes only.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the United States are encouraged to visit www.cbp.gov for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the United States.

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country for which one is required).

TRAVELING WITH MINORS – Border services officers watch for missing children, and may ask detailed questions about any minors traveling with you.

CBSA recommends that parents who share custody of their children carry copies of their legal custody documents, such as custody rights.  If you share custody and the other parent is not traveling with you, or if you are not the parent or legal guardian, we recommend you carry a consent letter to provide authorization for you to take them on a trip and enter Canada.

A consent letter must include the custodial parents’ or legal guardians’ full name, address and telephone number.  Some travelers choose to have the consent letter notarized to further support its authenticity, especially if they are undertaking a significant trip and want to avoid any delay.

The Canada Border Services Agency’s (CBSA) involvement in their “Our Missing Children” program dates back to 1986.  Since then, CBSA officers have helped reunite over 1,700 missing and abducted children with their parents or legal guardians.

CBSA officers pay extra attention to children as they enter Canada.  Recognizing which children have a valid reason to accompany adult travelers is an essential aspect of the program.  this additional attention helps to ensure children’s safety.

Skip to toolbar